Saturday, September 14, 2013

Summer is over, heading west.

Where did it go?  

Every year I say the same thing and every year it seems to goes by a little faster. 

As I write this report today I'm celebrating my 45th wedding anniversary.  It seems like  yesterday that we meet on a trail-ride.  Horses were the common interest and growing up on a farm in rural Iowa.  How lucky to now be retired with family and friends to share life with!!

 Back to the present... 


 

 

We spent time experiencing the Midwest Old Threshers Reunion camping in Mt. Pleasant, Ia in the new little 19ft bunkhouse camper with grandkids, Dad, Mom and brother Randys family. My brother David and Barb came to!

 

This is a five day event with so much to see and do I could write for ever about it all.  Giant steam engine demonstrations, teams of draft horses doing it the way the farmers of the mid-west did when my dad was a kid.  When you tire of walking take a ride on the Steam locomotive or the electric car that weaves through the grounds.  Get off at pioneer village and visit the saloon with dancing girls.  You may even get caught in a wild-west shootout or a train robbery.  Every night their is music at the grandstands.  All of this can be had for a $25 wristband.  Camping is $18 a nite. 




 The log village with authentic pre-civil war buildings and period dressed volunteers demonstrating the daily life of the time. The kids loved the medicine man show. Milking cows, gathering eggs from the hen house and making rope.  

 





Dad with his "B"


 

 

 

 


All aboard lets parade, its noon!   

 

The cavalcade of power starts everyday at noon with the whistle blasts from the steam locomotives all going off at once. Its exciting to see the proud old-timers and the new generations of kids and grand-kids proudly parading the things of the past.


 

 

 

 

We are now on our way west in the RV and taking our time wandering through Kansas.  More on that in my next report. 

 

          I'm missing the kids already but looking forward to the new journey ahead.  I did say to Randy as we headed out, are you sure you don't want to turn around and go back?      

 

 Moments of summer with kids,  they make me smile and laugh and feel important!!

They are a hoot!!!!  Until next time, I hope you find something to make you smile...







No comments:

Post a Comment